It always blows my mind that people in favour of CCSVI say, "Follow the money" and blame big pharma - well, what about the docs who are making millions on this procedure?
Vein Surgery for MS Fails in First Controlled Trial
- Mean cumulative new T2 lesions: 0.3 sham, 2.2 venoplasty (P=0.07)
- Mean T2 lesion volume change: -4.7% sham, 13.9% venoplasty (P=0.04)
- Mean cumulative T1 lesions: 0.2 sham, 0.8 venoplasty (P=0.14)
- Mean T1 lesion volume change: -14.6% sham, -10.2% venoplasty (P=0.81)
- Mean cumulative contrast-enhancing lesions: 0.3 sham, 2.4 venoplasty (P=0.06)
Siddiqui A, et al "Percutaneous transluminal venous angioplasty (PTVA) is ineffective in correcting chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) and may increase multiple sclerosis (MS) disease activity in the short term: Safety and efficacy results of the 6–month, double–blinded, sham–controlled, prospective, randomized endovascular therapy in MS (PREMiSe) Trial" AAN 2013; Abstract P04.273.