March 17, 2009

Acupuncture, or, Oy Vay, I have such a pain in the butt!



Went to my excellent physiotherapist today for an assessment of my legs as they are feeling distinctly weaker. She examined me and agreed, then suggested a technique she had tried for another MS patient that seemed to help her feel sturdier when she was walking. She inserted 3 acupuncture needles deep into my buttocks muscle, and attached them to a machine that sends electrical charges to make the muscles contract. She turned to electricity up to level 2, which was enough to make me cry out. The electrical current cycled on and off for 10 second bits for 15 minutes, then we switched over and did the other side.
Well, I'll wait to see what things are like tomorrow, but OH MY GOLLY, I am not a happy camper right now. My bum muscles are in serious spasm and my whole leg is unhappy, alternately sore and just plain toothachey. The rest of my body seems to have decided that since one part is cranky, the rest should get in on the act, and my neck and arm muscles are tense and sore.
So, I'm off with an antispasmodic to reduce the pain and a cozy bed to warm the muscles into relaxation. With luck this punishment will mean I can walk better tomorrow....

No comments: